Star of the Day

This morning Sophie and I got to spend some time in Julie’s classroom. Her teachers have a program called Star of the Day, which involves each child in the class getting a special day to be featured in the class’ group time, when they are invited to bring in some photos, a favorite book and toy from home, and parents and siblings are invited to join the class.

I jumped at the chance to come to school and see just what it is that she does during her secret, separate life away from me four mornings a week. It seems that even starting in pre-school it is often difficult to extract information with the standard “what did you do today?” questions.

The kids were running around playing with different activities when we arrived – Julie was hanging out with a group of mostly boys, playing with toy dinosaurs. I got her to show me her lion among the bulletin board display of their art projects. It’s fun to see the whole set together, since I usually just see Julie’s when she brings it home later, out of context. Julie’s is the one with the red nose to the right of her head. I have to say she did an awesome job on the paper-fringe mane.

A few minutes later, the teachers rounded everyone up to sit down on the carpet. Julie got to sit in the teacher chair and was presented with a special hat, which just happened to match her outfit today. Her teacher walked her through showing off all her photos (our family, our cats, a baby picture, and a current picture) and her book – she chose to bring one called “Fairies are Fun” – and the yo-yo that she had chosen for some reason as her favorite toy.

Then her classmates got to raise their hands and ask her questions. It was hilarious. They all kept asking the same things – “what’s your favorite food?” “what’s your favorite TV show?” and “what’s your favorite book?” Julie did a great job of answering them all over and over, although it was hilarious that she kept saying different things for her favorite food, and none of them were actually her favorite foods. She said spaghetti once, and she won’t eat spaghetti because she hates anything involving tomatoes! It was an incredibly cute scene.

Then it was time for the kids to head down for play time in the gym. The teachers distributed all kinds of bikes and toys for them to play with, and even Sophie got in on the action. Sophie was actually quite popular amongst the kids, who kept wanting to pat and touch her, to the point where she was a little confused. She loved letting a couple of Julie’s friends push her around in the car, though.

After that, it was time for lunch, and Sophie seemed to enjoy sitting next to big sister drinking chocolate milk from a carton and sharing Julie’s lunch out of her lunch box.

And then the morning was over – Julie chose to ride the bus home as usual, and Sophie was quite upset that she didn’t get to ride the bus too. Our house is one of the last on the route, so we had no trouble beating the bus home.

Moving on to some knitting content for a moment – my recent yarn acquisition from Germany arrived a couple days ago. I don’t know what got into me, but I went ahead and ordered a giant pile of Kauni yarn from this store. Okay, I’ve been wanting some since Susan started her sweater, and forced myself to hold off because I was busy with other projects and have no immediate plans to start a new giant sweater project right away.

Still, this yarn may not be available forever, so I ordered enough in the green-yellow colorway…

And in the rainbow colorway…

For a sweater each. The thing is, as others have noted on their blogs, the yarn doesn’t cost very much at all – but the shipping does. So it made sense to add a few bucks to the order and get twice as much yarn. Really. Sense.

And that leads me into a little story that I find kind of silly-funny. I’ve mentioned before that Joe doesn’t really mind about my yarn purchases – we each have our own little pot of discretionary money, and we are each allowed to spend it as we will, no questions asked. He’s quite supportive of my addictions because I am equally supportive of his. Even so, I didn’t mention a couple of recent falling-downs in the sock yarn bins lately because I *do* have a wee bit of sock yarn stashed already, and I knew he would just smirk and roll his eyes. Well, I did go ahead and photograph it and put it up on Ravelry, and last night he and I were chatting after the kids were in bed and he said “So, that yarn that showed up on your Flickr stream the other day – was that new?” Busted! We had a little laugh over that one, and hey look honey – yarn for a couple sweaters!

Back to the family stuff for a minute – here’s a photo Sophie took of me yesterday while I was checking e-mail first thing after we got Julie on the bus. I let her play with the camera as long as I’m watching her and right there, and this time she got an almost-decent shot in.

Joe’s parents were over yesterday too – they watched the girls for me while I went to an appointment – and when I came home they were giving the girls piggy back rides.

And Julie had produced this amazing picture of our house.

Over the last few months, Sophie has gotten more and more involved in Julie’s ballet class, and since it’s a very small class with a very sweet teacher, it’s been okay that she wants to practice along with the bigger girls. Last week teacher Rachel suggested that Sophie should have a pair of ballet slippers and tap shoes of her own, and even helped us dig some that fit out of the consignment bin for practically nothing. I figured if we were going to go that far, we may as well get her a leotard as well, and I couldn’t buy a new leotard for Sophie without getting one for Julie too. Which lead us to this little scene yesterday…

Rachel says maybe we can even work it out so that Sophie can be in the Spring recital with Julie. They’ve just started practicing it, and it’s going to be very cute. They’re dancing to the Sleeping Beauty theme “Once Upon a Dream” which happens to be one of Julie’s favorite songs.

One more bit of knitting content – I tried to get a picture of the snowflake scarf the other day, and of course the minute I lay my knitting out it instantly attracts the kids. Just as well, because unblocked lace looks like crap anyway. I’ve made more progress since this photo – I’m up to five repeats of the main motif.

A couple other items I want to mention – I know this is getting long, but I want to fit these in before I forget.

1) I’m sorry that I hurt some people’s feelings with the joke I made about Easter. I was in kind of a bitter frame of mind when I typed up that post, and I guess I assumed that people reading a blog by the name of Heathen Housewife would be willing to put up with a little irreverent humor. But I realize now that what I said was really a slap in the place to people who hold the holiday sacred, and for that I am sorry. I can be a bit of an asshole, I’m afraid. But please understand that I was trying to be tongue-in-cheek and silly, and that my intent was not to hurt feelings. Will try to do better in the future.

2) We finished our taxes last night. I was the one holding up the show in the end, because I had been avoiding totaling up my knitting business income and expenses. Between both the patterns and the yarn dyeing, my actual profit? Less than $100. I was a little shocked – I thought it was going to be a tiny bit more. I had to remind myself that the whole point of the venture was not to get rich, but to support the habit and have some fun. And if that was my goal, then I certainly succeeded. But I also think it is important that nobody thinks I’m getting rich off this scheme. Especially since the State Fair competition is limited to amateurs, and I certainly think with that amount of profit I still fall well within that category. And I didn’t even apply all of the expenses to the equation that I could have! Again, I’m not complaining – I do all this stuff because I love it and it makes me happy!

I’ll leave you with two happy little videos from yesterday…

Barre exercises

Tappin’ Fools

13 Responses to “Star of the Day”

1. Melissa says:

Wow! Sounds like your daughter had a great Star of the Day experience. Those are always fun (and funny) to watch!

2. Anonymous says:

Personally, I can’t see any reason at all that you should feel obligated to apologize for someone else’s problem with your blog. This is a BLOG for goodness sakes! It’s not in a newspaper or on tv or in a magazine! They are not required to click into this blog or read any part of what you write and after all, you are calling yourself the Heathen Housewife! Don’t apologize! Please! There are plenty of places for those who are identified as Christians to have their beliefs reinforced and supported. You are in no way obligated to create content on your own personal blog that is bland and palatable to any comer.

3. SwissKnits! says:

What a cute Star of the Day! I love seeing the work of my kids at school too. When they bring it home it’s nice and all, but it so interesting to see their interpretation of the project. Two years ago, the kids in my son’s class did an art project where you fan fold a piece of paper and on one side of the fan you draw and b&w picture and on the other side a color picture. All 24 of the kids folded the paper ‘landscape’… my son folded his ‘portrait’ I could plainly see that he sees life in an unusual and imaginative way. I thought that it was too cool to see that.
    What a pair of ballerinas you have there.

4. Krafty Like A Fox says:

The girls look adorable in their dance outfits!

As far as Easter goes, it’s your blog and you can say whatever you want. The word “morbid” did get to me a bit, since it’s all about worshiping the triumph of life, but it’s your space.

5. Anonymous says:

Love, love, love the videos of the dancing darlings! Thank you so much for sharing. I always enjoy reading your blog. Some day I am going to start knitting a sock yarn blankie a la Heathen Housewife!
    Blogless Mary Lou

6. The Bartholomews says:

Ben loved seeing the pictures of Julie in his “old classroom”, and the videos. Thanks for sharing.

Tracey

7. SwissKnits! says:

I will just add (instead of editing -LOL) that I certainly do not read this blog for anything other than knitting, recipes and cute kid pix. We have different ideas on religion, and that is just the way it is.
    For religion I go to Mass.

8. mari says:

What cute little ballerinas.
    They look adorable.

You know, everyone has their opinions and beliefs and we are free to express them on our “personal blogs”.
    If you don’t like what you read, don’t. Go somewhere else. It is as easy as that.

I myself enjoy your blog and will be back. :)

9. sopranospinner says:

Hey, no need to apologize. I celebrate and worship and all, but still can be heard referring to “ritualistic cannibalism” if you listen hard. There’s weird stuff in every faith.

10. Anonymous says:

We had something like Star of the Day but cannot remember what it was called…hmmm I am getting old. Great pics and nice yarn! My LYS is having their sale next week and while my husband has been moaning about a budget, I cannot help myself I know that I will be going and some yarn will be coming home with me, I cannot wait!

I for one very much appreciate your apology! Thank you!!!

Karyn

11. Tammy says:

I need to make clear that I admire Shelly, I read her blog for the knitting and family content. I really thought “heathen” was just a clever funny title. She certainly does have a right to express whatever she wants to on her blog. But she also has a comment page for her readers to also express their thoughts and opinion. I have made comments before on her blog and all very positive ones for her.

Easter and Christmas is a holiday I hold sacred. I started not to write anything and ignore it. My conscience would not let me rest without commenting. So I chose to express my opinion just as other readers do.

I respect Shelly for being a good mother, wife and of course a fantastic knitter.

Shelly you are a fine person and you are blessed with a good husband, in-laws, and two precious, beautiful children. Two people do not have to agree on every topic. But those same two people can still be friends and respect each other beliefs. And I thank YOU Shelly for understanding.

By the way I know Shelly is a fine person from reading her blog. And to the other readers-I knew from the beginning that I could choose to read it or not.

12. Tammy says:

13. Sue J says:

I didn’t find your Easter remarks offensive at all………..of course I too am a heathen!! HA!
    My Nana always said “Two bits and their opinion will buy you a cup of coffee”