Coveting

I am busy. Oh so busy. Busy preparing for my class tonight, and also busy – really really busy – trying to finish these damned socks. Quickly, I will just share with you that I had one sock completely done and just waiting to be kitchenered at the toe when I realized that I had royally f*’d up the heel. There are pictures, but I am too busy to load pictures today. Naptime only lasts so long, people. So I ripped that sucker back, and now it is done and I am well past the heel of sock number two. I would reallyreallyreally like to get those sock in the mail tomorrow morning. Why? Because I think I actually have a chance of getting a second pair of socks in my hot little hands before I get killed off, and I think that would be fun. I can’t explain why. It is inexplicable. But I do at least have the stitch pattern totally memorized now.

Enough. In the mean time, I haven’t really touched my new spindle since I took that picture the other day. But a crack has opened in the dam of “I’m not a spinner” so now I am coveting all kinds of spinny things.

Things like sheep to sock kits…thanks to Cashmere Dreams, who posted on her blog about receiving one. Thanks, beeeatch. (Just kidding, love you dearly but it’s still all your fault even though you don’t even know me.)

Also? I think I might really want one of these. Because they’re incredibly cute, and although I really love the look of those giant old-school spinning wheels, from all the stuff I see on the blogs and around the internet and even in person at the Sheep and Wool festival, people don’t have them around all the time and they’re really big and not portable. And because Aisha just got one. Again, thanks, beeeatch. And again, you know I’m just kidding. I love you dearly even though we do know each other and I’m at risk of you thinking I’m gonna get all stalky on you, which I promise I won’t! Okay, this is getting a little freaky, I think it’s because I’ve been working too hard on those socks.

Finally (not finally, but all I have time for today) And I don’t even have time to find a proper link – but I really need a class. Maybe from here. And some time to take it and practice and stuff.

But for right now I’ve got to go knit some killer socks.

8 Responses to “Coveting”

1. sheepingbeauty says:

Spinning is so much fun!!!! The only down side is trying to decide whether to spin or knit. I have a kromski prelude which is a nice little wheel, but the double treadle on the one your looking at is a very nice feature.

2. Debra says:

Deb (the beeeach) from Cashmere Dreams here… Just a head’s up – If you like the sheep-2-shoe, make sure to check out Crown Mountain Farm’s superwash merino. It’s also 8.5 oz, is dreamy soft, and is 2/3 the cost @ $20/ea.

Oh, and we certainly know one another! We’ve talked on a number of occasions– at the Yarnery countless times, at the Yarn Harlot event & Knit Out two years ago… :)

3. Flan says:

I took my spinning class at the Textile Center, and I can’t say enough good things about it.

Plus spinning is really cool.

The Ladybug wasn’t out when I was buying my wheel, but I love my Ashford Traveller. Solid but portable, and the pieces all feel properly proportioned for my long legs and torso….

4. Em says:

Oooh – I love that ladybug wheel! I really want to learn how to spin too, but I’ve got negative time on my hands… and so far I’ve f***d up one really cute little sock and don’t have the guts to rip it back…. could you send some confidence my way? I love reading your blog!

5. Suze says:

I’m not a spinner at all…but I just read (and then bought because I had to have it) A Fine Fleece, a new book by lisa Lloyd. It almost makes me want to try!

6. Criosa says:

I had to laugh at Deb’s recent post – it’s a blend of what I just came home with the previous weekend!

I played with treadling the ladybug at Shepherd’s Harvest too – that one’s more likely to find it’s way into my home than the hitchhiker I tried in Maryland.

if the Weaver’s Guild’s classes (I’m assuming that’s what you were looking at at the Textile Center. if not, the Weaver’s Guild has classes too) don’t fit your schedule, try the Fiber Studio (she’s on 46th-ish & Nicollet) – that’s where I took my spinning class and loved it.

we’ll make a spinner out of you yet! ;)

7. Kendra says:

That ladybug spinning wheel is very cute! I’ve seen it in magazines and thought it wa adorable. I don’t spin, and I don’t think I’ve got the patience for it. But if I was rich and had lots of room in my house I’d probably buy one of the ladybug wheels just to look cute in the corner of my knitting room (which I totally would have if I was rich.)
    I’m nowhere near where you are on my Sock Wars socks, but so far I’m alive. Good luck getting them done!

8. Muriel says:

I have a Ladybug wheel that I just got a few weeks ago and I love love love it. I tried out 5 or 6 other wheels but this one just felt *right*. I wasn’t keen on the red wheel (seemed a tad gimmicky to me) but it has really grown on me. Nicely portable, I just strap it in the seat with the seatbelt through the front handle and off we go.
    P.S. Saw you at Shepherd’s Harvest on Saturday but it was drizzling and you were trying to get out of a conversation in the rain already, didn’t want you to get more soaked! Love your sweater.